In order to make an industrial complex and put the factory in context I'll need some buildings to go with it. The first of these is an incinerator or forge building. It's basically an open fronted shed built around a couple of industrial fires and their chimneys. It's very quick to make, easily finished in an afternoon.
Here's the cutting plan:
The two 60mm pieces of wood are the front supports for the sloping roof and I sanded them at an angle (by eye) to make the final join sit better.
The next step is to cover the balsa chimneys with some brick-pattern styrene sheeting. I had plenty left over from the factory build and I wanted to keep the buildings looking like they belong together so this was ideal. If you need to purchase some it's available from any model shop and many online vendors. Usually I use Antenociti's Workshop for these things.
I left a gap at one end of the chimneys because I was going to use some card cladding to top them off. As it turned out I didn't go with this in the end so feel free to fit the styrene to the full height when you do yours.
I used wood glue for the initial placement of the styrene as it allows time to position everything properly. I finished off with some superglue along the edges with superglue accelerator so that it acted as a gap filler as well as an adhesive.
Once the chimneys were dry I assembled the rear wall of the building and the fire places using wood glue and superglue. This is essentially the whole construction part and only takes a couple of minutes.
Everything is positioned from the placement of the fireplaces so I marked the positions of the uprights with a pen. The fireplaces and the gap between them are all 20mm and you mustn't forget to allow for the thickness of the uprights themselves. The chimneys are glued on the outside to match where the fireplaces are.
While the back wall is drying it's time to make the side walls. I wanted these to be less permanent looking than the fireplace/chimney part so I decided to use wooden planking for them. I cut ten 30mm lengths of coffee stirrers for each side using my trusty (and indispensable) Chopper.
I glued the wooden planks to the cork sides with wood glue. There is an overlap of half a plank width at one end to help with the join to the front posts.
I suppose you could get a better wood effect by missing out the cork sides and just gluing the planks together by their edges but this would take longer and wouldn't be as sturdy.
Once the planks were dry I assembled the walls and added the front posts. That's the building done, now for the roof.
The roof is a piece of art card cut to 140mm x 86mm with a couple of 6mm cut-outs for the chimneys.
I covered it with more sheet styrene, this time corrugated iron, to keep it tied into the general theme set by the factory building.
I added some smaller pieces to look like patched repairs.
Finally I topped the chimneys with some cork to finish them off.
I painted it in matching colours to the factory and added some static grass and texture to the base.